Ray Van Horn, Jr. is a veteran entertainment journalist whose writing and live photography has been featured in Blabbermouth.net, Dee Snider’s House of Hair Online, Fangoria.com, Horror News.net, About.com Heavy Metal, MetalManiacs, New Noise, Music Dish, AMP, Hails & Horns, Unrestrained,Noisecreep, Impose, Pit, The Big Takeover.com, Rough Edge.com, Pitriff and others. His blog The Metal Minute won a “Best Personal Blog” award in 2009 from Metal Hammer magazine and he wrote and produced his own hard rock e-zine, Retaliate.

He has contributed essays to UK author Neil Daniels’ Iron Maiden and ZZ Top biographies. Ray’s fiction has been published in various periodicals and anthologies, including his flash fiction piece “Off the Record” for Akashic Books’ “Mondays Are Murder” noir series. His recent short stories “Before the Ball” and “Widow” were featured in subsequent editions of Alex S. Johnson’s Axes of Evil anthologies. Ray wrote serialized original superhero fiction for Cyber Age Adventures and five of those stories appear in the anthology Playing Solitaire. He was the winner of Quantum Muse’s fiction contest in 1999.

Ray is a former NHL game analyst for The Hockey Nut and one-time host of the forum “Comic Books” at ReadWave. He has done beat reporting, photography and lifestyle articles for Metromix, an affiliate of The Baltimore Sun, Carroll Magazine, The Northern News and The Emmitsburg Dispatch.


Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Still Kicking...


The above photo is yours truly as a zombie in-between takes on the set of "Bane" from a few years back.

Thank you to those who have written me and queried where I've vanished to.  I didn't quite keep up with my Halloween film fest as much as I wanted to, though I squeezed in what I could including my mandatory B favorites Trick or Treat from 1986 and Halloween III:  Season of the Witch.  Hey, we all have our guilty pleasures.  However, the superb made-for-t.v. terror ride from 1981 Dark Night of the Scarecrow made its way into the player on Halloween night in what is probably going to become a tradition, since my guests have requested that one two years straight now.

I'm alive, I'm fine and I'm appreciative of your concern, readers.  The drop-off here at the Crash Pad was a matter of having to prioritize a very busy month, and that active trend will continue forward.  I will maintain business as usual here at this site, but not on an everyday basis.  I think I have enough loyal supporters of this hub to feel that random versus daily posts will work just as well. 

Over at Blabbermouth, I have reviews running of the latest from Slipknot, Exodus, At the Gates, Unearth, Opeth, Cavalera Conspiracy, In Flames, Electric Wizard, Decapitated, Obituary and Sick of it All.  I have quite a few other reviews I've written that are waiting to go live, so hang tight and hang out over at Blabbermouth!

I've made my health a priority this year and through a strict diet and rigorous exercise program, I'm proud to say I've lost a total of 38 pounds since April.  This has been my biggest success of the year and it's become my proverbial safety zone as I roll on through life and look toward an equally successful future. 

I have a new fiction project I'm working on as time permits and stay tuned regarding the No Salvation comic book, masterminded by Society 1 front man Matt "The Lord" Zane and Dominic Valecillo, who is wrapping the final pages of art.  Matt and I beat on our script a few rounds and I think the three of us have come up with a unique concept we can't wait to share with the masses.

On the flipside, I'm saddened by the news of the passing of Wayne Static.  Wayne gave me a hilarious interview years back and he had me talk with his wife Tera for a bit, as well.  I've always loved Static-X and Wayne's solo album was pretty boss, as well.  That groove-driven "evil disco" vibe was unique unto itself and hardly reproduced by Static-X's imitators and peers, save for maybe Powerman 5000.  Later, it was passed to me by Wayne that he was appreciative of one of my Static-X reviews.  Thus I felt tremendous satisfaction by the brief interactions I had with the guy and it's a shame he left this life too soon. 

So stand by, readers.  More stuff to come, and thank you as ever for your support.


                           Listenin' to:  Static-X - Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment