Ray Van Horn, Jr. is a veteran entertainment journalist whose writing and live photography has been featured in Blabbermouth.net, Dee Snider’s House of Hair Online, Fangoria.com, Horror News.net, About.com Heavy Metal, MetalManiacs, New Noise, Music Dish, AMP, Hails & Horns, Unrestrained,Noisecreep, Impose, Pit, The Big Takeover.com, Rough Edge.com, Pitriff and others. His blog The Metal Minute won a “Best Personal Blog” award in 2009 from Metal Hammer magazine and he wrote and produced his own hard rock e-zine, Retaliate.

He has contributed essays to UK author Neil Daniels’ Iron Maiden and ZZ Top biographies. Ray’s fiction has been published in various periodicals and anthologies, including his flash fiction piece “Off the Record” for Akashic Books’ “Mondays Are Murder” noir series. His recent short stories “Before the Ball” and “Widow” were featured in subsequent editions of Alex S. Johnson’s Axes of Evil anthologies. Ray wrote serialized original superhero fiction for Cyber Age Adventures and five of those stories appear in the anthology Playing Solitaire. He was the winner of Quantum Muse’s fiction contest in 1999.

Ray is a former NHL game analyst for The Hockey Nut and one-time host of the forum “Comic Books” at ReadWave. He has done beat reporting, photography and lifestyle articles for Metromix, an affiliate of The Baltimore Sun, Carroll Magazine, The Northern News and The Emmitsburg Dispatch.


Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Paint it Black Live Photos, September, 2009, The Ottobar, Baltimore, MD


In 2009, I was invited out to the reunion gig of punk legends, Naked Raygun.  I won't ever forget that night since I went with a buddy of mine and we ended up seeing many of the figureheads of the halcyon DC straight edge scene from the eighties in attendance.  I met Government Issue vocalist John Stabb and one of these days, he and I have a sitdown planned that we need to freakin' book already.

Prior to Naked Raygun's set, Philly hardcore revivalists Paint it Black took the stage and ripped Baltimore's Ottobar to shreds.  Think I'm overexaggerating?  I've got the visual documentation here.  A few of the pictures I got of Paint it Black's set made it into AMP magazine after I'd told their editor I'd fought the trenches and peeled off one of my personal best live photo shoots.  Many of these photos feature animated vocalist Dan Yemin losing his shit, but hopefully I captured these guys in their rawest form.  There are no photo bit barriers at the Ottobar, so I took a hell of a beating hanging front and center against the stage and nearly had my camera batted away a few times from all the rolling, jumping, moshing and pounding of the crowd at my back. 


I'm long retired from the pit, ironically having gotten my first crack at slamming at a Government Issue show in 1987, which I discussed with Stabb after the Paint it Black shoot.  Many of these shots are appearing for the first time from my archives.  I hope you enjoy them.  My back and shoulders are still smarting just looking at these shots, but I'm glad to have hung tough and snapped them off. 


 
                                    


 
 
 

 



 



Photos (c) Ray Van Horn, Jr.


                      Listenin' to:  Gorillaz - Demon Days

No comments:

Post a Comment