Ray Van Horn, Jr. is a veteran entertainment journalist whose writing and live photography has been featured in Blabbermouth.net, Dee Snider’s House of Hair Online, Fangoria.com, Horror News.net, About.com Heavy Metal, MetalManiacs, New Noise, Music Dish, AMP, Hails & Horns, Unrestrained,Noisecreep, Impose, Pit, The Big Takeover.com, Rough Edge.com, Pitriff and others. His blog The Metal Minute won a “Best Personal Blog” award in 2009 from Metal Hammer magazine and he wrote and produced his own hard rock e-zine, Retaliate.

He has contributed essays to UK author Neil Daniels’ Iron Maiden and ZZ Top biographies. Ray’s fiction has been published in various periodicals and anthologies, including his flash fiction piece “Off the Record” for Akashic Books’ “Mondays Are Murder” noir series. His recent short stories “Before the Ball” and “Widow” were featured in subsequent editions of Alex S. Johnson’s Axes of Evil anthologies. Ray wrote serialized original superhero fiction for Cyber Age Adventures and five of those stories appear in the anthology Playing Solitaire. He was the winner of Quantum Muse’s fiction contest in 1999.

Ray is a former NHL game analyst for The Hockey Nut and one-time host of the forum “Comic Books” at ReadWave. He has done beat reporting, photography and lifestyle articles for Metromix, an affiliate of The Baltimore Sun, Carroll Magazine, The Northern News and The Emmitsburg Dispatch.


Saturday, February 22, 2014

Comic Book Reading Spot of the Week - 2/22/14


There's a joke in my household that it's getting harder by the day for me to find a few minutes alone just to read a comic book, much less keep up with my frequently nutty schedule.  Seems like every time I dive into a comic, I  have to stop reading once the echoes of "Daaaaad..." or "Hoooonnnnnnn..." disrupt my concentration.  I often tease my family that it takes locking myself in the can if I want 15 minutes to myself to knock out a comic book without interruption.  I've even been keeping a higher fiber diet these days just to give me the excuse to disappear in private with a comic book.  Desperate times call for desperate measures, you know.

Then of course, there's my work and an easy 40 to 50 new album promos hitting me each week, all looking for press coverage.  I have side projects cooking and friends I sadly neglect but squeeze whatever time I can for them.  I'm in the process of kickstarting my workouts back up to shed the winter pounds, as you can tell by the photo above.  Like there's time for that, sheesh.

I'm happily a very busy man and ready to take on even more work with the expectation that my family takes precedence and all you family guys out there know what I'm saying when I say that fifteen minutes a day with zero obstruction is gold.  Still, it appears I'm going to have to stake out some creative duckouts and even do some multi-tasking if I want to keep up with my reading.  Thus I've started this admittedly silly exercise I hope will be fun for you readers here at The Crash Pad, the "Comic Book Reading Spot of the Week." 

Join me as I pursue hidey holes in some likely wacky spots in the quest to turn off the switches of life for a few precious minutes and catch up with my comic book reading.  What a guy has to do these days, I tell you...


                       Listenin' to:  Mozart - Mass in C Minor

No comments:

Post a Comment